The Villages Recreation Department welcomes you to a world of fun, friendships and learning! Our team of recreation specialists and volunteers are here to help you explore the variety of services and facilities we offer to enhance your active lifestyle in Florida's Friendliest Hometown.
When enjoying Recreation Department sponsored activities we ask you to remember the following guidelines:
- Please, always carry your Villages ID/Guest ID and follow all posted rules and regulations in your activity location - including all posted age requirements at all centers.
- Prior to getting involved in your recreational program, be sure to consult a physician to ensure you are ready to participate if your interests include strenuous activities.
- Please be sure to fill out the activity release at your recreation center before joining in the fun and always wear appropriate attire while at the recreation center.
- Participation in recreational activities always involves some degree of risk. Participants assume full responsibility for and risk of bodily injury arising out of or in any way connected with participation or involvement in or presence at the activity or program. Play and swim at your own risk.
The Villages District Recreation Department has earned national accreditation for excellence in operation, high quality services and experiences by the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation
Agencies (CAPRA). Our Recreation Department is committed to providing productive and enriching leisure time pursuits, extraordinary services and experiences to residents of The Villages through our core
values; hard work, hospitality, stewardship, and creativity. Our dedicated staff is proud and passionate about all our recreational opportunities. We encourage residents to volunteer and get involved in
creating a healthy and active lifestyle in their hometown - The Villages. Currently, the Villages Recreation Department services 40 recreation centers, 93 swimming pools, 3,100+ resident lifestyle programs
and clubs with a full and part-time staff of over 600 employees and over 3,100 volunteers. We always welcome comments and suggestions for expanding and enhancing The Villages recreation opportunities.
John B. Rohan, Executive Director of Recreation & Parks
John B. Rohan has worked for The Villages Community Development District since 1993. John’s leadership extends to several areas within the recreation department that include Fitness Clubs, Special Events, The Enrichment Academy, and Room Reservations. These facilities are managed with a budget of $22 million per year and over 600 full and part time employees. Since 2011, The Villages Recreation & Parks Department has received the CAPRA Accreditation from the National Recreation & Park Association and is one of the few accredited recreation departments in the state of Florida.
In his 30 years, he has witnessed and experienced firsthand the positive impact recreation has had on the residents of our community. Through his experience in recreation management, recreational programming, and special event management, John encourages resident’s involvement in creating a healthy and active lifestyle in the community.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation from the University of Florida, 1993 – Go Gators !
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration from Troy State University, 2002.
- Inducted into the University of Florida, College of Health and Human Performance’s Hall of Fame, 2018
- Active supporter and member of the Florida Recreation & Park Association and the National Recreation & Park Association.
- The Rotary Foundation – Paul Harris Fellow, 2021
- Florida Guardian ad Litem Office – Community Advocate of The Year, 2022
- Lions Clubs International – Melvin Jones Fellow, 2023
John serves on the Children’s Advocacy Center Board, Operation Homebound, St. Timothy’s Pastoral Council, and Knights of Columbus. He and his wife, Krissy Rohan, Director of the Little Buffalo Learning Center, have two children, John Michael & Chelsea, and enjoy the outdoors and spending time with their family and friends.
To view the Recreation Staff Directory, please click on the following link: Recreation Staff Directory (PDF)
Click here to view the Recreation Department’s Purpose, Vision, Mission and Core Values