The Villages beautiful Lake Sumter
<-- Go Back

Sumter Sanitation FAQs

The following Frequently Asked Questions relating to sanitation information pertain only to those residents residing in Sumter and Marion counties. For those residents residing in the Town of Lady Lake portion of The Villages, please contact Waste Management at (352) 787-4416 for information on your sanitation pick-up and fees. If you live in the Lake County portion of The Villages, please contact Lake County Solid Waste at (352) 343-3776.

How much is the sanitation fee?

The current monthly residential fee for Sumter and Marion counties is $17.90. Commercial customers can contact Finance Customer Service at 352-750-0000 for a current rate schedule and application for service.

Is this a permanent fee?

The collection of sanitation is part of your contractual declaration of restrictions and is provided by the North Sumter County Utility Dependent District (NSCUDD) which owns Sumter Sanitation. Sumter Sanitation contracts the service to CH2M HILL OMI. NSCUDD has the authority and responsibility to amend its schedule of rates, fees, and charges from time to time to ensure the perpetuation of service.

When do I receive a bill for sanitation services?

The fee for the sanitation services is included on the monthly amenity/water/sewer/irrigation bill mailed monthly.

What happens if I pay late?

Monthly bills are issued with specific due dates. Amounts not paid by the due date are subject to a 5% (five percent) late charge as provided in the rate rule adopted by NSCUDD.

Can I have the sanitation bill sent to a third party, who is not the primary owner?

The bills remain in the name of the current property owner on file with the respective County Clerk’s office. The owner of a participating dwelling unit or commercial unit whose name appears on the real estate tax bill for the property is the responsible party for the sanitation fee. Bills can be mailed to any address requested by the owner.

Can I schedule the sanitation fee payment through an automated debit to my bank?

The entire amenity/water/sewer/irrigation and sanitation bill can be set up for automatic draft, linked to existing bank accounts. The District cannot separate out the sanitation charge for an automatic debit service that is linked to existing bank accounts.

Do I have to pay the sanitation fee if my property is vacant?

Yes, the sanitation fee, along with the amenity/water/sewer and irrigation fees are year-round fees and charged regardless of whether the property is occupied or not.

Does the fee include disposal of bulk items?

Yes. Please contact the service provider directly to schedule pick-up of bulk items. Their office is open Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (excluding holidays) at 352-748-0109.

How do I dispose of household waste, recyclables and yard waste?

  • Household waste should be placed in standard dark, sealed 20-30 gallon trash bags.  Each bag should weigh no more than forty (40) pounds.
  • Recyclables should be placed in clear plastic bags.
  • Yard waste should be bundled, tied and placed at the end of your driveway.  Tree limbs and branches may not exceed four (4) feet in length.  Lawn clippings and similar yard waste should be placed in biodegradable bags.

What if I don’t know my garbage, recycling, or yard waste days?
You can click here for a collection schedule or call the VCDD Utility Billing and Customer Service Division at (352) 750-0000 to speak to a Customer Service Representative.  Schedules are also available at the Customer Service Center located at 984 Old Mill Run.

How often will I have a collection day?
Household garbage is collected twice a week.
Recycling and yard waste are collected once a week.
Click here
to view the collection schedule online.

What if my collection day falls on a holiday?
There will not be collection on certain scheduled holidays.  To view these scheduled holidays, please click here.If your regularly scheduled pick-up day falls on a scheduled holiday, pick-up will occur on your next scheduled pick-up day.

Where do I place the trash bags on collection day?
Place the bags at the end of your driveway, at the edge of the street.  Bags must be placed for collection before 6:00 a.m. on your collection day or the night before.

Where do I dispose of bulk items that do not fit inside the bag?
Garbage too big, bulky or heavy to fit in a normal trash bag is considered a “bulk item.” Bulk items should be scheduled for a pick-up.  Bulk items include furniture, large household trash, pallets, homeowner-generated remodeling debris, bicycles, lawn mowers, mattresses, loose items in open boxes, toilets, carpeting, fencing, lumber, computers, and other electronic equipment. 

Bulk items should be placed curbside and at least three feet (3’) away from your normal household garbage, mailboxes, utility poles, trees, gas or water meters, fire hydrants, cars, sprinkler heads or anything else that collection equipment could damage, or come in contact with. Do not mix bulk items, appliances, or collection cannot take place.

How do I dispose of my yard waste?
Yard waste is collected every Wednesday (with the exception of scheduled holidays), regardless of your normal garbage collection schedule.  You may use brown paper bags for collection of lawn clippings and similar yard waste items and place them at the end of your driveway the night before or before 6:00 a.m. the day of pickup.  Tree limbs and branches may not exceed four feet in length.  Please bundle and tie these items and place them at the end of your driveway.  Trees cut down by contractors will not be collected and must be removed by the contractors.

How do I dispose of my household recyclables?
Residents are to use clear plastic bags for collection of recyclables. Please click here for a list of recyclable items.

How do I dispose of household hazardous waste such as paint and motor oil?
Do not place household hazardous waste (flammables, paint, poisons, motor oil, etc.) with the household garbage.  For information on hazardous material disposal, please see the contact information for your county below:

  • Sumter County:  (352) 569-6700
  • Marion County:  (352) 671-8465
  • Lake County: (352) 343-3776

What time can I put out the garbage?
Garbage bags must be placed at the curb no sooner than 9 p.m. the day before your scheduled pick up and no later than 6:00 a.m. the day of pickup. 

What if my garbage isn’t picked up?
Garbage bags must be placed at the curb no sooner than 9 p.m. the day before your scheduled pick up and no later than 6:00 a.m. the day of pickup. 


Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity.  Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
Public Records Custodian Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. Most written communications to or from State and Local Officials regarding State or Local business are public records available to the public and media upon request. Please forward requests to:
Jennifer McQueary, District Clerk
984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, Florida 32162
Phone No. (352) 751-3939
Fax No. (352) 753-6430
Please Note Florida law prohibits the Board of Supervisors from communicating with residents about Deed Compliance or Architectural Review issues/cases.  Please contact the Community Standards Department directly at to report any concerns you might have.